Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Connections in "Schooled"

Like Chelsea, Anna Tagert’s father boosting that he could get her a job at Merrill Lynch struck me. However, I think at Colby many of students that are assisted by their parents in their job search are actually very well qualified. I agree that Anna Targert may not have been aptly suited for a career in the financial sector. However, I do not think one necessarily needs an economic or business background to be successful at a company like Merrill Lynch. Moreover, I think that if most people were given the opportunity for their parents’ to help them, they would not deny the help.

My parents without a doubt assisted me with getting a job. As an English major, I had a difficult time selling myself as a potential businesswoman. Without the help of my parents, I would have never had the interview opportunities I had.

Although I think my parents’ connections through their occupations helped me, I think it was more that people trusted and liked my parents. I think they figured that because my parents were good people, they could give me a shot. Maybe I am blind to the reality of that because I am so excited about being employed in a tough time. However, I think my experience has shown that kindness and fairness definitely goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment